Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Love Story.... (someday)

I’m not thinking about the sweet comfort your arm provides
wrapped around me reaching down to lace your fingers through mine

I’m not thinking about my head on your beating chest
moving up and down as I feel your breath on my neck

I’m not thinking about your deep love for me
smiling ear to ear as I said “yes” with you down on one knee

I’m not thinking about the ring hugging my finger
as we made a promise to hold each other forever

I’m not thinking about our lazy honeymoon
staying up late and waking up early doing what new lovers do

I’m not thinking about what our kids will be like
popsicle smiles and laughter fingerprinting every corner of our house

I’m not thinking about growing old together
falling more and more in love with each wrinkle and gray hair

I’m not thinking about spoiling our children’s kids.
Too many curly haired blue eyed blondes to count

I’m not thinking about the words spoken with your last breath.
Our hands locked together with tears soaking the hospital bed

I can’t think about our life as if I know how it’ll turn out
Until I can put a name and a face to this man that I love
but still know nothing about.

1 comment:

Z said...

Carmen this was an amazing poem, I loved it, and I feel the exact same way you do.