Sunday, December 26, 2010

It's Gotta Be More Like Falling in Love...

One of my favorite songs is by Jason Gray called More Like Falling in Love and the lyrics are remarkable. It's a great reminder of how God changes lives. Check out some of the lyrics:

I need more than a truth to believe
I need a truth that lives, moves, and breathes
to sweep me off my feet...


All religion ever made of me
Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet
It never set me free

I was lost, lonely, and needed something to live for. Friends and family were enough to keep me on the "right" track but I knew I was missing something...Something BIG. I'd been told to "do your best", "make good choices" and "love yourself and others" but WHY? What if my best wasn't good enough? What if I made a poor choice? What if I didn't care? There had to be something more to this life than pleasing others and doing the "right" thing. I realized fairly quickly that what I was missing was something spiritual. I'd tried religion before but I felt like church was just a place for old people to socialize and discuss beliefs over doughnuts and coffee. I'd go to church thinking I'd feel better but usually I left feeling more guilty about my sins and that I had to clean up my life before I could become religious.

Long story short, I was introduced to a youth group and for the first time met people my age who cared about me. For several Sundays I watched my friends sing, pray, and listen as if they were communicating with someone they loved deeply. I realized they weren't at church to show that they believed in something, they were there to have a relationship with someone. And that same someone cared about me too even with all the flaws I have and all the mistakes I've done. His love began changing me in ways I never could have imagined. The song's chorus (the title of my blog) and closing line reads:

It ought to be more like falling in love
than something to believe in
More like losing your heart
than giving my allegiance
called up, called out, come take a look at me now
It's like I'm falling in love...

It's more than a name, faith or creed
falling in love with Jesus brought a change in me

How incredible is that? God can't just be something we believe in on Sundays and put aside the rest of the week. Knowing him "ought to be more like falling in love" and you wouldn't fall in love with a person only to ignore him/her six days of the week. You would want to spend every minute learning about them, caring for them, and spending time with them and that's how our relationships with God should look like. Our hearts should be so consumed by Him and everything we do should be done for Him. So instead of constantly trying to please people I changed my focus to trying to please God knowing that He is more powerful, loving, and forgiving than any person on this earth.

I now have something to live for! Jesus Christ became man and died so that my sins would be forgiven and He deserves all the thanks and praise I am capable of. So it makes since that I live for Him because He died for me. My relationship with God isn't something that comes and goes and it's not an opinion I can change like a belief would be. It's like I've fallen in love and that is way more than just having "something to believe in."

No comments: