Monday, December 27, 2010

Work Out or Chill Out

My family is a very active one to say the least. My dad works out for at least 2 hours everyday, my mom hikes and plays volleyball, and my brother is a college soccer player and does workouts on the side (He's crazy). I play Division I college soccer but have never been the kind of person to enjoy lifting weights or running for miles like everyone else in the family. I'd rather play volleyball, soccer, or basketball for an hour or two to get my work out in. I'm totally aware that playing one of these sports for a few hours doesn't work all the muscle groups but I get bored doing any other kind of workout.

Dad using my brother and I instead of weights
Finals week ended December 10 (our break from soccer began the week prior) and I headed home for the holidays. I went snowboarding a few times the first week back but didn't do much physical activity other than that. I don't think someone has to work out to be healthy, so long as you are moving around during the day and eat decently. I went from working out for nearly four hours every day to practically zero in an entire week. I've also been eating more food because I missed all my moms home cooked meals in college and I feel like I need to eat a semesters worth to make up for it. None of this would be an issue if I didn't have to go back to playing college soccer full time come January 7 but I do. I'm terrified that I'm going to be out of shape and everyone else who kept up with the work out plan (we got a HUGE packet of daily workouts for the break) will be incredibly fit. Oh well I guess I'll just have to work twice as hard to get back into shape.

I feel tides changing thought (kind of). For Christmas my brother got P90X (an intense workout regime) and we thought we'd go to the gym today and try it out today! Now that's a work out!! It moves from exercise to exercise quick enough that I don't get bored in the first few minutes. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it but I didn't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would! So here's to getting off my butt and actually doing something for a change. Hopefully I can keep it up until I get back to school and soccer.

No comments: