Sunday, March 20, 2011

New Pet Peeve

I've always liked reading though I rarely make time for it. Spring break gave me a chance to pick up books other than textbooks for the first time in what seems like forever. I finished a few books I started before leaving for college and then read My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I liked her writing style and thought I'd try another one of her books and went to the bookstore. I left Barnes and Nobles with one called House Rules about an autistic boy who stands trial for murder because it seemed to be longest book of hers and I hate when decent books end (because then I have to find another one).

Well I found another thing I really don't like about books... I hate when they leave you with questions about the plot. It's okay to leave you wondering what your view is on a particular issue or thinking about why someone would invent "anti-matter" in the first place (from Angels and Demons- one of my favorite books) but why would an author choose to leave the one question you've been waiting the whole book to find out, unanswered. But I guess that is what poetry is, leaving people with questions as to what the poem is about, and I like poetry so maybe I'm just being hypocritical... None the less, I am still annoyed.

1 comment:

Z said...

I understand you, I am that way with both books and movies. I perfer the books that make you think rather than the ones that put you to sleep (aka most of the books we are forced to read in school). :)