Thursday, March 10, 2011

Too Many Hours in a Day

There are too many hours in a day
Truth seeps down my face washed away by a fake smile. Trials. I can tell you don’t understand. Your hands clasp each other as you bow your head mumble words and then say
Amen.

24 hours isn’t enough for you. You had more things to do. For you.

You see to do lists that ran off the page kind of day, forgot to buy eggs and milk before the your bed calls your name kind of a day, skipped breakfast to make it to work early kind of a day. But you were still late that day
You think 24 hours will never be enough
You see a sunset as you throw back another one
You go to bed wake up and wish you hadn’t poured that last one

Sometimes I wish that were my day.

I feel other people’s pain everyday. I read the newspaper and think about car accidents, suicide bombs and the obituary that’s not there because no one cared everyday. I cry when someone goes missing like it’s my brother or mother as you wondered what happened at Charlie browns baseball game that day. He lost, in case you didn’t read up that day.

My heart is exhausted and its beats are not strong at the end of the day. People are still dying because others hated them today and children are orphaned by AIDS everyday and I rest knowing the next day I will feel the same pain
But that’s OK

My heart breaks for a reason and my tears are good for something. Someone fills me up so I can pour out. When my well has run dry ironically I cry out. I wish days were shorter because then

I would have had more time to pray that day. 

1 comment:

Z said...

Thanks for making me think. I wish I could steal your beautiful words.