Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lovely Hike

This morning I went on a lovely hike with a friend where after a while we went to separate spots to rest and have some quiet time. As we walked we talked though being honest and open with people doesn't come naturally for me but I've been working really hard to overcome my tendencies to hold back. As we hiked together I felt a connection with nature, with God, and with my friend that I've never really felt before. I felt REAL! As if I finally connected with a world that I've always felt distant from. I was completely involved in our conversation and at the same time was enthralled by the beauty of nature.

We came across a small creek and decided that it would be a good place to split up and find a spot to do our own thing. After sitting down on a sun soaked log near the running water, I pulled out a book that a friend had loaned me. The book, titled TrueFaced: trust God and others with who you really are (how fitting, right?), examines the cruel cycle of sin and it's effect on us.

Sin ----->----->----->   Involuntary Response ----->----->----->   Inevitable Effect
-our own                    - guilt                         /                            -shame, blame, fear,
-against us                 - hurt                         /                               denial, anger
                                                                  /
                                                               <
OR we can not let the inevitable effect take place and instead let God heal us where we don't have the capacity to heal ourselves, releasing us from whatever hurt or guilt we may be experiencing.

Anyways, I began to consider which effects I've let take hold of my life and was surprised to find that each one has taken hold of different aspects of my life. I found myself in a very deep place of thought and for the first time I wasn't afraid to be there. I allowed myself to feel every emotion as it came and went. YES it went! They didn't stay forever and once I had experienced what it felt like to be ashamed, sorry, fearful, and angry I no longer felt burdened by these emotions and instead felt free in them. I've realized that by distancing myself from people I've only kept myself from healing and have allowed guilt to cripple me.

Learning to be real with myself and others will take time but I've never made so much progress in one day!

AND I EVEN HAD MY CAMERA!!!!!




1 comment:

Z said...

I like your new understanding and your pictures.