Friday, February 18, 2011

The Dilemma

"I've never been arrested, high, ticketed, or drunk..."

This a line from one of my poems and though it wasn't what I wanted people to focus on, it always ended up being the focus of the conversation after sharing. Honestly, I wish more college students could say this about their lives too. The pressures to drink and make other poor decisions proves too much for a lot of people. Thankfully I'm not usually tempted by the parties and all the people going out on the weekends but I do wonder what my limit is. Not the limit on how much I can drink but my limit on how much temptation I can face before I give in. I'm scared that it's a lot lower than I think it is. Which brings me to "The Dilemma."

The soccer team puts on a Valentine's Day party every year and it's notorious for being a CRAZY one. It's a formal party so EVERYONE must bring a date and wear dresses (which definitely isn't my thing)! The underclassman bring food and the upperclassman bring booze. I'd much rather sit around and have intelligent conversations with friends than be in a big group of drunk people listening to LOUD music and acting stupid. BUT I'd be the only person on the team not going and that doesn't look very good.

I don't want to go because I don't like "that" kind of stuff but I'm also concerned that I will be pressured into something I don't want to do. Like I said before I don't know how much temptation I can endure before I give in and the Valentine's Day party might be too much. It's hard for me to see that drinking won't help me fit in and it definitely won't earn the respect that I've been looking for, but my teammates make it seem like it will change things. I would just stop by, show my face, and then leave but that would mean that I have to dress up (which, did I mention, I really don't like). I guess I have to decide whether the risk of slipping up outweighs what other's will think of me if I don't go. Such a difficult decision and I'm probably just making a big deal about something that I shouldn't even worry about. What a dilemma!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Carmencita, be true to you. Galations 1:10 - "Am I now trying to win the approval of man, or of God? Am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." I am not saying that skipping the party is what you need to do - but don't go or not go based on man's approval. If you do go, you ARE strong enough, because you are EMPOWERED by the strength of the One who resisted Satan's most INTENSE temptation in the desert. (I've just been listening to a message on that story and discussing it in small group.) You are not alone, chica.

Z said...

Camrmen it just clicked... I'm sorry you have to deal with this.