Sunday, January 22, 2012

Food for Thought

I'm not quite sure where my mind is these days. I feel like all I ever think about is soccer, school, work, and sleep (in that order). I have all these ideas about how this semester is going to be different and it DEFINITELY will be but I also see some of the old habits setting in so I've got be careful. Motivation is key and if it doesn't come naturally I'll have to force myself to put the effort in. I'm not going to let another semester go down the drain because I just "didn't feel like trying anymore." Well at least I don't have to pencil in social time since I live with talkative girls where entertaining conversations and fun are only second to eating at our house.

- side note: I can't imagine what my body would look like if I ate this much but didn't work out 20+ hours a week. It's kind of a scary thought -

If someone were to ask me if I thought I was busy I don't know what I would say. I mean, I'm probably busier than most people my age but I definitely felt busier last year. Though I'm busy, I still feel in control of my time and on top of things but I feel it slipping though my schedule isn't really changing. We got a soccer coach after our last coach moved to a different program which may mean some minor changes in soccer but legally (per NCAA rules) we can't go up in hours for another few weeks. School is starting to pick up and become a bit more challenging but that's nothing new. So the only things left that could be the source of my stress and anxiety is work and lack of quality time with God.

Because I dislike posts without picutres: Here's a photo I worked on for a friend's birthday. She plays college volleyball and her sister asked that I use a photo,  her team colors, her name, and favorite verse (which is one of my favorites as well. I did my best and was pleased with the end result. Maybe I'll quit my day job and just take and edit pictures for a living :)
I work anywhere from 16-20+ hours on the weekends and tough it's tiring it is also rewarding. But there are certain aspects of the job that drive me crazy like how:
- the only time administration contacts me (or anyone else) is when they are begging us to work more hours. I don't mind filling in occasionally but coming in several hours early (4am) and leaving at 5:30pm is not what I had in mind for a part time job.
- the nursing home is WAY understaffed. Not only is it a lot of work, it's not fair to the residents who are paying to have the best care possible and I feel bad that I can't give them the personal attention they deserve (and are paying for).
-no matter how many hours you work you only get a 30 min break to eat. That's okay for people like me who typically work 8 hour shifts (though I usually eat more than once in 8 hours) but that's not okay for the  12 and 16 hour shifts that a lot of the nurses work. I don't know anyone that only eats once in 16 hours. Just saying :)
-As much as I LOVE working with most of the residents there are a few that know how to push my buttons and it takes every ounce of my patience to keep my composure. But I have a feeling if we weren't so busy our "patience reserve" may be functioning on more than just fumes.
-And lastly, my weekends are completely shot. There is little time to study and relax plus working Sundays keeps me from going to church which is something I desperately miss and need. I've considered requesting different hours but I'm doubtful that'd I'd get them.
*Despite all my opinions about my place of work I still feel it's a great job and rewarding I just know it's causing me some stress

Only time will tell where God wants me to be right now both physically and emotionally and I must trust that His plans are always greater than my own. It still seems that I'm where I'm meant to be and I must do my best to reflect His work in all areas of my life despite the difficulties.

1 comment:

Z said...

I really needed that verse so thanks! I'm sorry life is stressful for you Carmen.